How To Overcome Cosplay Roadblocks

Doing a build? Been to an event? Share your work here.
KomboKatjie

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi there!

Normally I reserve this kind of discussion for the very odd occasion like doing a presentation at an event (Spent years doing Cosplay 101 presentations at conventions) - but for ZAGA I would happily open up this can of worms! It can be sooo complex!

For this thread in particular I would like to propose that you share with me any 'roadblocks' you may have when thinking about cosplaying or any particular cosplay - and then I will act as a soundboard for some direction.

Has anything put you off of the idea of cosplaying? Maybe we can come up with a solution or at least some tips!

Curious to see whats clapping!
KrisC1

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:51 pm

My biggest roadblock is budget. In my opinion its do it right or don't do it at all. I grew my hair in hopes of doing a Geralt cosplay, but when I saw the cost of leather and riding boots I was put off of trying it. Not to mention that finding items like rigid collodion and EVA foam is extremely difficult it. I still feel I would like try cosplay out, but dropping R5k on an outfit that I will likely only use once or twice just doesn't seem logical.
KomboKatjie

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:01 am

KrisC1 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:51 pm
My biggest roadblock is budget. In my opinion its do it right or don't do it at all. I grew my hair in hopes of doing a Geralt cosplay, but when I saw the cost of leather and riding boots I was put off of trying it. Not to mention that finding items like rigid collodion and EVA foam is extremely difficult it. I still feel I would like try cosplay out, but dropping R5k on an outfit that I will likely only use once or twice just doesn't seem logical.
Budget is a maaassive cosplay related topic! There is so much to be explored there. Cosplaying on a budget is a fine art.

It is up to the cosplayer to decide whether they want to innovate on a budget or whether they want to rather save up over the course of a few months for particular gear and materials. Both choices have their pros and cons.

Sondor is a great local source of EVA foam at a good price and you can get big quantities there as they sell high volumes of it for manufacturing normally: http://www.sondor.co.za/

Rigid collodion I am not familiar with but a local material and gear supply database is in the works and I can find out for us about that particular material.

5k for a Gerald sounds about right! My most expensive build was over 10k but I spent 3 years planning and preparing it.

There are more affordable ways to go about these things but it all comes down to chosen techniques and also the standards we are ok to settle for.

I can give you a great tip - if you do invest a few thousand in a costume and it comes out decently neat, you DEFINITELY CAN SELL IT once you are done wearing it!! I always do that with my costumes. If I don't sell them, I salvage parts or for my personal satisfaction sometimes burn them in a big fire D: It soothes my soul to return some material goods to dust. But joking aside, a lot of cosplayers think their used costumes won't sell but there really is a market for that!